Hospice House is hiring for a Companion for the full time night position, 7pm -7am.
JOB TITLE: HOSPICE HOUSE COMPANION
REPORTS TO: Director of Clinical Services
Provides direct care to patients served by Hospice House and Support Care of Williamsburg and
helps maintain the therapeutic environment within guest quarters of the Hospice House. Work site
is at Hospice House, a non-medical residential center providing supportive care to hospice patients.
1. Assists patients with activities of daily living (ADL). These include meal preparation,
bathing and toileting and assistance in taking medication. May also include lifting,
repositioning, feeding and personal hygiene, as patient’s status/condition dictates.
2. Documents services to patients. Maintains privacy and confidential nature of all
documentation and other communications concerning care and condition of the patient.
3. Launders patient’s linens and personal laundry, according to infection control
4. Performs assigned housekeeping duties to maintain cleanliness of guest quarters
according to infection control procedures and other housekeeping duties throughout
Hospice House as assigned.
5. Follows policies and procedures governing safety at Hospice House and participates in
activities to maintain a safe environment, to respond to emergencies and report incidents.
6. Reports any needs, problems or complaints to the Hospice House Director of Clinical
7. Participates in continuing education.
8. Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Open toward hospice philosophy and comfortable working with individuals who
are dying. Able to provide the physical care, including activities described above, as needed by an
individual who is bed bound and unable to assist in his or her own care. Able to assist and
empathize with family members of others who bear primary responsibility for the Patient’s care.
Able to work a flexible schedule. Experience as a nurse’s aide or in providing companion or
nursing care at home is essential. Successful completion of Hospice House and Support Care
education for medication administration and post-employment offer criminal background check and
To apply, stop by Hospice House at 4445 Powhatan Parkway, Williamsburg VA 23188 to pick up an application.