Grieving is a process that requires much more time than our culture typically acknowledges or allows. Support during time of bereavement can help bring healing, renewal and hope for the future. Staff at Hospice House & Support Care maintain contact with bereaved families following the death of a loved one to offer comfort, support, referrals and services as needed.
Bereavement Support is open to all in the community regardless of their previous connection to Hospice House & Support Care.
There are no charges for services of Hospice House & Support Care of Williamsburg.
Hospice House & Support Care offers a confidential 1-1 with the chaplain to help match your needs with the most appropriate resource. To meet with Chaplain Hannah Creager call 757-206-1177 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
When grief touches your workplace, school, or organization Hospice House & Support Care of Williamsburg can provide on-site bereavement support and education. Call 757-253-1220 for more information.
This is a group for bereaved women who have lost their partners. The group meets monthly in the home of a Hospice House bereavement volunteer or in an area restaurant. It is an opportunity for grieving individuals to talk openly about their feelings and challenges with one another as well as to find fellowship over food. Many of the women who participate in this program establish solid friendships when they might have been left completely alone in the area at the death of their spouse or partner. For more information contact Chaplain Hannah Creager at 757-206-1177 or email: email@example.com.
This is a group for bereaved men who have lost their partners. The group meets monthly at a local restaurant for lunch. Like the women’s lunch group, this group provides an opportunity for grieving individuals to find commonality and friendship through the sharing of grief journeys over a meal. Call 757-206-1177 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a co-ed group that meets up to two times a month at an area restaurant for dinner. Past dinner locations have included: The Whaling Company, Olde Towne Pizza, Two Rivers Country Club. When you’re grieving it’s often difficult to eat out alone or as a third-wheel, but in this group you don’t have to worry about either of those things! Anywhere from 30-50 people attend these dinners each month so this is a great way to get to know more people in Williamsburg.
This is a co-ed group that regularly schedules and enjoys local, national and international travel opportunities. Past trips have included: A Bermuda Cruise 2017, A Quebec Cruise 2017, and most recently a trip to Washington D.C.
This workshop is for adults mourning the death of a loved one. Focused resources are provided at each session and conversation is focused on finding meaning through grief. Each group is limited to ten participants and preregistration is required.
- Workshops offered three times per year: winter, spring and fall at Hospice House
- Commitment of 6 Sessions meeting every other week
- Facilitated by Chaplain Hannah Creager
- Registration required. Call Chaplain Hannah Creager at 757-206-1177 or email: email@example.com.
Just because the death of a parent follows a “natural progression of life” doesn’t mean that grieving our parents is easy, quick or less important. Come and join us as we explore together the complex journey of parental loss.
The support group meets the third Wednesday of each month. Meeting time is 7:00-8:30 pm at Hospice House & Support Care of Williamsburg
For more information, please contact Chaplain Hannah Creager at 757-253-1220 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peer-Run Support Groups
- Meets 2nd Monday of the month from 7 pm-8:30 pm at Hospice House.
- Contact Chaplain Hannah Creager at 757-206-1177 or email: email@example.com.
- Giving ourselves permission to grieve.
- Staying connected with supportive people.
- Learning acceptance with Grace/Truth/Time.
- Easing ourselves back into reality.
- Sharing our experiences and helping others on the recovery road.
- Meets 1st Thursday of the month from 7 pm-8:30 pm at Hospice House.
- Contact Charlotte Moyler at 757-903-1641 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Candlelight Memorial Service – This is a nondenominational candlelight memorial service is offered each November to remember anyone who has passed away in the Williamsburg community as well as those who have passed away at Hospice House in the last year.
- Light-Up-A-Life – This is an opportunity for bereaved families to purchase an ornament in memory of their loved ones and to hang them on the Hospice House Christmas Tree during a seasonal remembrance ceremony each December. All proceeds benefit the life and work of Hospice House & Support Care of Williamsburg.
- A “Celebration of Life” – This is service is held early in May on the patio at Hospice House. This service is to remember all those who have passed away at Hospice House in the last year as well as those whose loved ones have donated memorial bricks for our back patio.
*All services are facilitated by the Hospice House Chaplain.
For a comprehensive and printer-friendly list of our bereavement services, click the link below: