HOSPICE HOUSE & SUPPORT CARE OF WILLIAMSBURG COMPANION
JOB TITLE: COMPANION
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO email@example.com
REPORTS TO: Clinical Director
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Provides direct patient care services to hospice and respite patients and supportive care to the patients’ families served by Hospice House & Support Care of Williamsburg. Helps maintain the therapeutic environment and performs basic housekeeping duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides patients’ personal hygiene by giving bedpans, urinals, baths, backrubs, shampoos, and shaves; assists with travel to the bathroom; helps with showers and baths.
- Provides for patient’s activities of daily living by assisting with serving meals, feeding patients as necessary; ambulating, turning, and positioning patients; providing fresh water and nourishment between meals.
- Provides adjunct care by administering medications ordered by the medical hospice agency.
- Provides patient comfort by using resources and materials; answering patients’ call lights and requests; reporting observations of the patient to the Clinical Director or the On-Call RN.
- Documents actions by completing forms, reports, logs, and records.
- Maintains work operations by following policies and procedures as outlined in the HHSCW Personnel Policy Manual and all training materials.
- Protects organization’s values and confidentiality of patient and family members by adhering standards outlined in the HHSCW Personnel Policy Manual.
- Serves and protects the hospice community by adhering to professional standards, hospice policies and procedures.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications and attending staff meetings.
- Enhances Hospice House & Support Care of Williamsburg by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Performs assigned housekeeping duties to maintain cleanliness of patient quarters according to infection control procedures and other housekeeping duties throughout the house and property as assigned.
- Follows policies and procedures governing safety at the house and participates in activities to maintain a safe environment, to respond to emergencies and report incidents.
- Reports any needs, problems or complaints to the Clinical Director or On-Call RN.
SCHEDULE: Schedules will vary and may be full-time, part-time or PRN. Weekend shifts and holidays are required and night shift work may be required depending on the need.
QUALIFICATIONS: At least 1 years’ experience as a nurse’s aide or providing companion or nursing care at home or completion of freshman year as a nursing student is required. Open toward hospice philosophy and comfortable working with individuals who are dying. Able to provide physical care and the activities described above as needed to individuals who are bed bound and unable to assist in their own care. Able to assist and empathize with family members who have primary responsibility for the patient’s care. Able to work a flexible schedule. Successful completion of Hospice House & Support Care education for medication administration and post-employment offer criminal background check and drug test.