Hospice House & Support Care of Williamsburg, and the Hospice Guild, welcome your interest in becoming a volunteer. The process to become a volunteer is one that will both allow us to understand the areas in which you would like to be involved, and give you an understanding of our organization.
Services that our patient volunteers provide:
- Visiting with patients
- Encouraging the patient to share their experiences with them
- Providing a break for the patient’s caregiver so they can take care of themselves
Administrative/Office work, including:
- Answering phone calls
- Handy work
- Data entry
- Special event logistics
- Giving tours of our facilities
We never ask our volunteers to do anything that they are not comfortable doing.
Hospice House & Support Care trains our volunteers! An initial general training for all interested in volunteering covers the following areas:
- The Hospice philosophy
- A comprehensive overview of Hospice House & Support Care services
- How Hospice House & Support Care of Williamsburg is different from medical hospice agencies
- A tour of the building
In addition to the general training, individuals wishing to become a Patient Volunteer must attend a 20 hour training course and undergo background checks. This training is more in-depth and covers:
- Physical, emotional, social and spiritual issues that people can encounter at end-of-life
- Individual needs, including emotional support, emergency procedures, precautions and end-of-life procedures
- An overview of chronic and life-limiting illnesses
- Effective communication skills
- Boundaries for the volunteer and the patient and family
- Information about grief and loss
How do I sign up to be a volunteer?
If you’d like more information, or if you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please call us at 757-253-1220 and we will connect you with Diane Schwarz, Volunteers & Operations Director to arrange a meeting. Diane can also be reached via email: email@example.com
To download a Volunteer Application Form to fill in electronically click here.
To download a Volunteer Application Form to fill in by hand click here.