Hospice Patient-Family Volunteers receive at least 20 hours of basic training plus continuing education throughout each year. Some of the services they offer are:
- Sitting with the patient at home to provide time out for the caregiver
- Providing transportation to medical appointments
- Helping with essential errands
- Delivering needed equipment and supplies
- With the family’s permission, coordinating help from friends and neighbors
- Assisting in caring for patients and families at Hospice House
In addition to continuing education, volunteers participate in a regular meeting of the interdisciplinary treatment staff to review and revise care plans for patients and families they are serving.